Location: Edmonton Red Deer Kelowna
Chandos is an innovative and collaborative construction company, 100% employee owned and proud to be the first and largest B Corp certified commercial general contractor in North America.
Along with being on the leading-edge in our industry, we also invest in our people, encourage their growth and support them in reaching their full potential. Because when our employees are at their best, they help move our entire organization forward – this is at the heart of the Chandos philosophy.
The Estimator is responsible for the accurate, timely preparation of full-cost estimates for projects, including materials and labour. This individual's accuracy is critical to the profitability of the business.
- Prepare and / or coordinate the preparation of full-cost estimates on Conceptual, Design-Build / Construction Management / IPD / Lump Sum or general tender work.
- Prepare materials, labour and equipment cost estimations necessary to successfully carry out a construction project according to proposals, plans, estimates and specifications.
- Establish unit costs, labour rates, productivity factors and location impacts
- Obtain competitive material & equipment prices for all tenders / pursuits, specific to each opportunity
- Evaluate and recommend allowances for indirect costs, design unknowns, escalation and contingency.
- Establish and develop competitive edges on tenders / pursuits in order to improve chances of success.
- Attend Pretender site visits / meetings in order to fully understand the scope of the tender / project
- Review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality or availability of materials.
- Provide technical assistance in negotiating contracts, change orders, etc., as required
- Participate and / or lead commercial / contract negotiations for Subtrade “Buy-out’s” on secured projects; in conjunction with the operations team
- Attend and Participate in Interviews with Client Teams for projects / opportunities that we are pursuing
The Requirements (Minimum Qualifications):
- Postsecondary degree or diploma in construction/engineering or an appropriate field.
- Five or more years of experience in estimating.
- Able to read and interpret building specifications, blueprints and asbuilds.
- Mathematical and analytical skills necessary for development of material and labour estimates.
- Mathematical and analytical skills necessary for interpretation of jobcost reports.
- Able to use costestimating software to prepare cost quotes and bids.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and Adobe.
- Good understanding of current market conditions and competitors within our marketplace
The Preferred Qualifications:
- Effective verbal communication and listening skills.
- Good timemanagement skills.
- Good client service and public interaction skills.
- Able to work in a team environment with a minimum of supervision
- Collaborative in dealing with customers and fellow employees.
The Chandos Advantage:
- 100% employee owned
- Competitive compensation and bonus
- Strong benefits package
- Substantial vacation time
- Stable worklife balance
- Training, education and development opportunities
- Employee appreciation events
- Supportive culture
- A healthy and positive work environment
- Perks through our strategic partners
In order to extend our One Chandos culture, we may occasionally request that select employees travel or relocate to other districts for growth opportunities or as business needs arise.
We appreciate your interest in working with us; however, only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Chandos is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.